The Matthew is Hiring! Office and Marketing Assistant
Posted on 28/01/20 by Hannah
The Matthew of Bristol Office and Marketing Assistant
15 hours a week. Part time. Temporary 6 months employed contract. March - September. £10 p/h
This role sits at the core of one of Bristol’s best loved visitor attractions. It would suit someone looking for small business and charity experience as the post holder will have an excellent overview of the business as a whole, whilst also being fully supported by the part-time office and marketing manager and company directors. The benefits of this role include the opportunity to join trips on The Matthew, both within Bristol and further afield, flexible independent working and a varied workload.
The Matthew of Bristol is a fully working reconstruction medieval ship based in Bristol’s historic harbourside. TheMatthew was built to mark the 500th anniversary of John Cabot’s famous voyage from Bristol to Newfoundland in 1497 and in 1997 the ship and its crew re-enacted this epic voyage. Nowadays the ship is a small but well known attraction and an iconic feature within Bristol.
We have a busy summer ahead of us, making it an exciting time to join this small team. This role is crucial in the delivery of its sailing and events programme, raising the profile of The Matthew and assisting with the development of the business.
We are looking for someone who is organised, friendly and a self-starter. No two days are the same and this can be a busy role, so organisational skills and the ability to multitask are important. Our office team of two are the linchpins of our operation – working with the skipper, volunteers, trustees, local businesses and our customers to deliver a first-rate customer experience. The role will include regular tasks in administration, marketing, finance, talking to customers and working with a diverse team.
This list is not exhaustive but covers the main aspects of the role. Applicants should be able to:
· Deal with telephone and email enquiries from customers and external partners
· Take bookings for public trips
· Take and manage private trip bookings from schools, private individuals, companies and film companies
· Take meeting minutes (or interested in learning)
· Organise catering for trips and events
· Support the skipper in renewing licences for the ship and other tasks
With support from the Office and Marketing Manager:
· Maintain and update our website and ticket booking systems
· Pay supplier invoices
· Raise and manage customer invoices
· Produce mailshots to send to schools/other organisations
· Handle media requests from the press, filmmakers, photographers etc.
· Run the Matthew’s social media pages to boost its profile, build audience and promote events
· Arrange the production of marketing material including leaflets, posters etc.
· Report on performance of marketing activities
· Plan special events and produce the programme of public trips
We are looking for someone to work 15 hours a week over 3 days. This must include a Wednesday, but the other two days can be negotiated. This is a seasonal business and so the hours offered may vary and there will be occasional weekend work, including being ‘on call’ to respond to social media messages. The ship is open for private hire and public trips from April to the end of September so this role will be key in covering this busy time.
Our office is located at Baltic Wharf, Bristol (15 minutes walk from the ship). Flexible working is possible. You will be working in the office on your own on some days so you will need to be comfortable with that and able to maintain good motivation by yourself.
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information contact The Matthew office on 0117 927 6868
The closing date for applications is midnight Thursday 6th February.
Interviews will take place on Friday 14th February.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Customer care/service experience
· Excellent organisational and time management skills
· Able to manage a varied workload
· Confident making informed decisions using own initiative
· Experience using Microsoft office suite
· Comfortable lone working
· Experience communicating with a broad range of stakeholders
· Experience managing business social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook and Twitter)
· Experience in website maintenance using a content management system
· Experience working in the leisure/tourism/cultural/fundraising sector
· Good level of understanding and experience managing marketing activities, such as purchasing printed advertising, promoting events, raising brand awareness and profile
· Design skills including using design software to create posters and other marketing materials in keeping with brand
· Photography skills
· Experience working with volunteers
· Financial management experience (Quickbooks, Sage, or similar)
· Interest in maritime or heritage industries
· Experience of delivering projects and events